Baltimore, its neighborhoods, and its surrounding communities offer an incredibly rich, dynamic, and beautiful tapestry. Whether you prefer the hustle and bustle of city life or the more laid-back lifestyle of the nearby counties, Baltimore and its environs have a lot to offer. Many attractive and affordable places are available within easy commuting distance of the Johns Hopkins Hospital and Bayview Medical Center. If you’re looking to buy or rent in one of Baltimore’s more than 225 incredibly diverse neighborhoods, be sure to take advantage of the resources and incentives available to Johns Hopkins employees.
Recognizing and discussing our city’s and our institution’s roles in racist policies is an important part of our work and our program. As described in this article, the idea of race-based housing segregation began in Baltimore, and the impact of Baltimore’s history of redlining continues to be felt today. Much work, including institutional efforts detailed here, here, and here, remains to be done to confront and combat these past atrocities. Several of our faculty are leading relevant efforts, including Dr. Risha Irvin, Associate Vice Chair for Diversity and Inclusion, Director of the Department of Medicine Diversity Council, and Director of Generation Tomorrow; Dr. Kathleen Page, Co-Founder and Co-Director of Centro SOL; and Dr. Damani Piggott, Associate Vice Provost for Graduate Diversity and Partnerships, and Director of the Vivien Thomas Scholars Initiative.
We look forward to talking with you in greater detail about Baltimore and the many opportunities it offers.
Additional Program and Baltimore Fun Facts
- We are family friendly! Seven of our past 11 graduating fellows have had children prior to (2) or during (6) their fellowship training.
- Median estimated rent prices in Baltimore remain below the national average of $1920/month, including popular neighborhoods such as Canton ($1830/month), Upper Fells Point ($1565/month), Fells Point ($1770/month), and Mount Vernon ($1270/month).
- Median home purchase price in Baltimore County is $325,000.
- Baltimore City demographics:
- 62% Black or African American, 30% white, 5% Hispanic or Latino, 2.5% Asian, 3% two or more races
- 20% of residents are under 18y; 14% are ≥ 65y
- Baltimore County demographics:
- 31% Black or African American, 59% white, 6% Hispanic or Latino, 6.5% Asian, 3% two or more races
- 22% of residents are under 18y; 18% are ≥ 65y